Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tokyo Cafe: A Fusion of Western and Japanese

Teriyaki Chicken Salad
Teriyaki Chicken Salad - P178
Tokyo Cafe isn't a traditional Japanese restaurant, in the sense that their menu showcases a fusion of Western and Japanese cuisine. Their menu offers a wide array of choices, from salads to parfaits. At first glance, it seems their menu is one that a Western restaurant would give you -- Shrimp Bisque, Caesar Salad, Pasta, etc. However, looking more closely, their dishes also have a touch of Japan -- Teriyaki Chicken Salad, Japanese Carbonara, and much more. Tokyo Cafe has several branches (the one we went to was the one in Venice Piazza).

Tempura Meal
Tempura Meal
I ordered the Tempura Meal (they had another name for it, but I can't remember... nor can I remember the price, except that it was more than P200). My companion ordered Chicken Teriyaki Salad and Chicken Cutlet. The Tempura just didn't cut it for me since it was mostly thick, crunchy flour with smaller-than-usual shrimp. I prefer Tempura which is malaman, and I know most people do as well.

The salad's serving size was too much for one person, so if you're planning to order their salad, remember that it's for sharing. We didn't try the other dishes, but the serving size might also be for more than one person (just ask your waiter beforehand). According to my companion, the salad tasted simple but fulfilling. Out of all the food we ordered, I like the Chicken Cutlet the best, though I agreed with my companion when he said the sauce for the chicken was quite bland. Overall, the food was just okay. Judging from other opinions, I think we need to go back a second time to really realize its overall greatness. If we do, I'm coming back for the Wafu Steak, because the pictures from Food Trip Tayo! look amazing.

Chicken Cutlet
Chicken Cutlet - P208

Tokyo Cafe
Cuisine: Japanese, Western
Branches: Mandaluyong, SM Mall of Asia, SM North - The Block, The Venice Piazza
Budget: 300 per Meal Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

2 comments:

  1. My office mates and I have been meaning to dine here since we're right next to MOA but the price really isn't for an everyday normal office lunch out. Maybe when there's an occasion, as an excuse! hehe. Congrats on your new blog, I like that it looks clean :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it is a bit pricey. Tell me how it goes if ever you get an excuse to eat there, haha! :) Thank you for dropping by, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete