Monday, September 12, 2011

Wee Nam Kee: Best Hainanese Chicken!

Wee Nam Kee - Exterior
Wee Nam Kee's Exterior
Wee Nam Kee originates from Singapore, and as I'm told, it's actually a very known restaurant. The first time we decided to eat in Wee Nam Kee, the restaurant had just opened in Ayala Triangle, and there was just way too many people -- which was why we decided to pass. The second time, we chose to wait... but after thirty minutes, we were already so hungry we just chose another place to eat in. Many times I thought of coming back, but I kept telling myself the same thing would happen again. Finally, after a few months, we went back. And even though I had convinced myself we wouldn't get seats... we actually did (though we did have to wait a while)!

Wee Nam kee - Lights
Bird cage Lamps
The interior of the restaurant is pretty cool. They use bird cage lamps, and my boyfriend was trying to figure out why -- after a while, he told me that the restaurant's theme is a traditional street. The walls have decorations that I didn't really pay attention to at first, but when he pointed it out, they were supposedly windows, and the walls were supposed to be the walls of houses. Aside from that, wooden roofs were also present.

The service was fine. Nothing special, just fine. However, judging from other reviews and blog posts, a number of people find the staff to be lacking in some aspects. I guess that's another advantage of being able to eat there months after their soft opening -- they've already sorted out their wrongs.

Of course, we ordered what we came for - Hainanese Chicken! They offer Hainanese Chicken as steamed or roasted, and we ordered it steamed. I can safely say it's the best Hainanese Chicken I've tasted so far... the meat is very rich, succulent and tender, and it comes lying on a tasty brown sauce, which is just as delicious. It's much better than the dry dishes that some restaurants offer. Another thing that was a huge plus was the non-ending supply of condiments. On each table, there are three huge jars of Ginger, Dark Soy and Chili Sauce. I was very generous when placing condiments, especially ginger, with every bite of chicken. I think this disgusted my companion a bit, because he's not a fan of ginger. Which I don't understand. Tsk tsk.

We were also given a bowl of broth, though I don't remember if it was complimentary or it came with what we ordered. Nonetheless, it was delicious.  

Hainanese Chicken
Hainanese Chicken
Condiments
So much condiments!
Wee Nam Kee - Kitchen
Display of their chicken (resembles a street vendor's!)

Cuisine: Chinese
Location: Ayala Triangle
Budget: P200 per meal
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

0 comments:

Post a Comment