Thursday, June 14, 2012

Lugang Cafe!

Anyone craving for Taiwanese cuisine? If you are, then Lugang Cafe is the place for you. Lugang Cafe has brances in Greenhills and in SM Mall of Asia. Their website describes their restaurant as the 'epitome of elegance and style', to which I would agree to. 

We were able to visit the MOA branch and were greeted by a long queue... good thing it was worth the wait. Lugang Cafe was honestly a very good experience. 

Lugang
Lamps... :)
The branch is, indeed, 'elegant' looking. This is random, but their lamps resemble the ones that can also be found in Wee Nam Kee.

Lugang
Lugang's Interior
For starters, I ordered the Milk Tea for my beverage... because I'm obsessed with milk tea. However, even if I'm obsessed with milk tea, a lot of them fail to impress me. Fortunately, their milk tea was good. :)

Lugang
Milk Tea - P140

Of course, who can go to a Taiwanese restaurant like this one and not order their special dim sum? These are steamed and have broth in it... it's tough to eat at first, but you get used to it. Personally, it's a favorite of mine. I also can't help but compare their steamed shrimp and pork shiao mai (or just siomai to most of us) to the ones found in Shi Lin. Lugang's was definitely better, as the dough was softer and steamed to perfection.

Lugang
Steamed Shrirmp and Pork Shiao Mai - P188

Then we have the XLB dumplings, which is what the restaurant is known for. XLB stands for Xiaolongbao, and are also known as 'soup dumplings'. Just like the shrimp dim sum, these also have broth in them. Really delicious, and a must try for ever foodie out there. 

Lugang
Pork XLB Dumplings - P188

Here's some hot and sour soup

Lugang
Hot and Sour Soup - P180
Who can go to a Chinese or Taiwanese restaurant without ordering Jelly-Fish?

Lugang
Jelly Fish

The Seafood Balls were also good. They were fried to perfection but were not oily, and the meat was succulent.

Lugang
Seafood balls
Lugang
Fried Rice

I really loved the Chicken topped with Scallion and Ginger Oil! Just look at all those scallions. I immediately fell in love with it. It has a similar taste with Hainanese Chicken, but there's no need for additional dips since the toppings give it a good taste. The chicken meat was juicy and delicious!

Lugang
Chicken topped with Scallion and Ginger Oil - P450

Sweet and Sour Pork, another favorite from this cuisine. 

Lugang
Sweet and Sour Pork - P280

I wasn't a fan of the Steamed Fish Fillet with Crispy Tauso, although my companions liked it. I have no idea what Tauso is, and even after doing some searches on google, I found nothing. The closest thing I got was that it's fried and crispy soy beans... is that right? Anyone care to enlighten me? All I can explain is that it has a peanut-y taste.

EDIT: I just took a peek at Lugang's FB page, and apparently these are pine nuts. Mystery solved!

Lugang
Steamed Fish Fillet with Crispy Tauso - P380
Lugang
Dessert!

You can see how the dim sum is made, which is always fun!

Lugang
So this is how it's made... O:
Lugang
Amazing.

Verdict 
Lugang Cafe is a must go-to for all the foodies out there. Good service and good food.

Taste - 5/5
Ambiance - 5/5
Service - 5/5
Price - 5/5
Overall Value - 5/5

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

5 comments:

  1. I want to revisit Lugang Cafe tuloy because of your post! I only got to try a few of their dishes before, so I want to go back and sample more~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been here :( But I'm really tempted to!!! And wow... I love your shots! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me hungry! The Steamed Fish Fillet with Crispy Tauso looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a feast! still haven't tried lugang and their XLB! sad :( hopefully soon! :)

    ReplyDelete