Thursday, February 16, 2012

Vday's at John Bamboo

For Valentine's, we took a trip to Solenad, Nuvali and decided to eat at John Bamboo -- a Sate House by Red Crab. According to Wikipedia, sate is a "dish of marinated, skewered and grilled meat, served with a sauce". I don't remember the last time I've eaten Indonesian food, so I was pretty excited because it was something "new". Anyway, we were given crackers as appetizers. The crackers itself was nothing special (though I doubt crackers can actually get any special), but the sauce was pretty good!

John Bamboo
Crackers for Appetizers!
We ordered two kind of Sate -- beef and pork. They were both spicy (though if I remember correctly, the waitress said all the Sate were spicy), though the beef was a lot more spicy than the pork for some reason. It was also served with some sort of peanut sauce. I liked the Beef Sate, though the spiciness became  unbearable after a few sticks! (Edit: I labeled it as pork and chicken before... I have been corrected :p)

John Bamboo
Beef Sate
In contrast to the Pork Sate, the Pork Sate was very mediocre when it came to taste. Besides, the meat wasn't tender. :(

John Bamboo
Pork Sate
Marcus was very happy by the fact that they had Mie Goreng, so he ordered it even though we had already ordered for so much. The product? There was a lot left for take out. Anyway, the Mie Goreng was "just okay" for me as well. Honestly, it was a bit on the bland side.

John Bamboo
Mie Goreng
We also ordered Nasa Goreng Mie (don't ask me what that stands for!). It was very different from the Nase Goreng that I'm accustomed to, because the rice wasn't coated in the sauce. If you've been to Banana Leaf, you might know what I'm referring to. However, I liked it... I found it very tasty! It was salty, but in a good way.

John Bamboo
Nase Goreng Mie
We got there during off hours (as usual), so if I remember correctly, we were the only ones around.

John Bamboo
Interior
To end this post... look at the pretty giveaway they gave me! ;) Though Marcus had to ruin the mood by saying, 'Why don't I get any?'... aaargh.

John Bamboo
Got a Vday gift ;)

Verdict 
The food is a hit or miss. For example, I liked the Beef Sate, but the Pork Sate wasn't very good (for me). I guess you just really need to be very careful on what you order. The ambiance was nice as well, and the staff were very accommodating.

Taste - 3/5
Ambiance - 3/5
Service - 4/5
Price - 3/5
Overall Value - 3/5
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

14 comments:

  1. I like Chicken Sate, too bad John Bamboo's didn't impress you. Anyway, I haven't been to Nuvali yet, it's quite far eh.. >.< Maybe when there's a resto worth visiting, we'll take the long drive to Laguna :D Btw, hope you guys had a nice Valentine's day! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to visit! Not sure if it's worth the trip for someone as far as you though :P And thanks, I hope you and your bf had a nice Valentines day as well. ;)

      Delete
  2. i miss chicken sate!! I love noodles too.. gonna check that resto out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went to nuvali before and tried fish feeding. We should feed ourselves next time we visit again. Heard there's a lot of restaurants there now. Maybe we would try John Bamboo first :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, hehe, don't feed the fish lang, feed yourselves too. ;P Dami nga restos, and Solenad 2 is open na rin

      Delete
  4. Aww I miss going to Nuvali.
    I might eat there when the Outbreak Manila event pushes through (because I'm definitely going! Haha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know you had a personal site (I am soo ignorant :P). Hope you have a good experience when you visit Nuvali!

      Delete
  5. All the food look delish to me too bad the pork sate was not to your liking. Hope to visit Nuvali soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but everything else was fine! it was just really a bit tough. :)

      Delete
  6. I've never tried this place! Nakakaloka lang minsan kung hit or miss yung food :( Belated Happy Valentine's Day, Mary! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nakakaloka! I like safe restos, na everything (if not majority), you're sure that it's good. Belated Happy Hearts Day to you as well :)

      Delete